I have done it twice.

  1. When I was 19, I was finishing high school and preparing for college. During the months of March through early September, I worked out in my garage with heavy barbells. Basic compound exercises with as heavy a weight as I could manage for 6-10 reps – Bent over rows, bench presses, military presses, curls and squats. I began at 6′ tall, 185 pounds. After about 6 months, I had gained to 205, increased my coat size 4″ and my arms 3″. I also lost a couple of inches in my waist line. I don’t remember changing my diet much, if at all. This change seemed like a sprint. Almost overnight differences. It seemed almost too easy.
  2. When I was in my mid-60s, I had gained considerably. I had become addicted to food – sugar, fats and salt. It took a while for me to come to grips with my physical decline. I felt that I could eat as much as I wanted, as long as I kept playing tennis on an almost daily basis. With knee injuries and arthritis in several places, I had to stop playing tennis and also couldn’t go out for a run in the evenings. It was only then that I began to focus on a change that included weight loss as my primary goal. By age 72, I had lost back to my high school weight (before the heavy weight training) – 185 pounds. This was by eating discipline and weight training or cardio every day. This was a marathon, not a sprint. It took longer, but I can’t say that it was difficult at all (after I became motivated).


I would never suggest that physical fitness is or should become the “be all and end all” of human goals. There are plenty of more worthy and less egocentric pursuits to consider.

But I firmly believe that very few people are opposed to the idea of being fitter and looking better. And my experience shows me that many do not understand how easy this is to accomplish, given the necessary planning and discipline. Do we really feel fulfilled as we lounge around and eat sweets?

Easy? Yes, though much work has to be done. Walking, jogging and running do not require much thought or practice. We simply move our feet. Training with weights or other resistance forms is not an intellectual exercise. We pick up a weight and move it in some manner.

Is time an issue? Are we too busy? My workouts are done every morning before breakfast. They take about 20-30 minutes. 30 minutes represents 2.8% of my day, leaving me 97.2 % for everything else.

Jennifer Lopez, says “I love being active. I don’t think it’s a chore. I just love exercise”. See my post on Jennifer Lopez here. Jennifer certainly shows stark evidence of her workout and dance activities in her physical presence. She doesn’t drink, smoke or use forms of caffeine. She may very occasionally eat a chocolate chip cookie. See JLo below.


My own routines are shown throughout my blog posts and I invite anyone to check them out. But, in keeping with my above use of a celebrity as an exemplar of fitness, here are a few others. Check out the routines, diets, advice and biographical information related to these notables:


As an Amazon affiliate, I may earn from qualifying purchases. See “Affiliate Disclosure” in my upper menu for a description of an affiliate relationship. Here are a few Amazon workout videos to consider. Scroll around from the links for other options.

And a few equipment options:

Finally, some non-Amazon fitness items for the health-minded:


I have always been struck by this truth – everyone wants to be healthier and fitter, but there is still a reluctance among many to do the necessary work. Often we may get started and then lose our momentum as other projects take precedence.

There is one factor in this that seems to keep us going – physical transformations are quite noticeable. Compliments are given to us, sincere ones. Often, these little bits of flattery loom larger than our internal health numbers – our improved blood pressure and lab tests.

Having said that many of us are reluctant to begin an exercise program, I can also report that many others are not so reticent. I see many people walking around my neighborhood with or without their dogs. I see that the readership of my fitness blog articles is increasing. Workouts are “cool”. Sweating is good. Physically fit people are happy people.

Please leave me any comments or questions in the “Comments” section below. Or email me, richard@myworkoutathome.com.

Be well!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *